You may think you long for love. If you’re alone, looking for love may be your Number One goal. Why can’t you find that special someone to share your life? The answer could be that you’re subconsciously afraid of love.
Love does demand compromise. It involves risk and may also mean sacrifice. Are you really ready? Find out about:
SIX REASONS TO OVERCOME YOUR FEARS
- Love boosts your self-esteem. As long as you aren’t looking to your lover to supply all your self-worth, this is a wonderful lift
- Love makes you happy. Real love in a good relationship makes the world glow like nothing else does
- Love makes you healthier. All those feel-good hormones coursing through your veins do you good physically
- Love makes you live longer. It’s natural to bond and receive companionship and support
- Love gives rise to more positive emotions so the world looks better and you spread joy
- Love is good for you mentally, reducing stress, improving memory and other brain functions.
So love is worth the risk!
STEPS TO OVERCOME YOUR FEARS
Once you have the self-knowledge to realise that you do fear love, you have taken a giant step towards overcoming this and moving on.
Think about all the benefits you’ll get from a relationship and be prepared to make compromises. When you find yourself getting caught up in your old patterns of rejection, failure or simple detachment, be aware of what’s happening. Do you really want this situation? Choose to behave differently and visualise better.
Push out of your comfort zone, letting yourself get close to people you might normally feel uneasy around. Why do they perturb you? Is this based on any real threat or is it to do with your fears? Change the places you go and the activities you get involved in – this can all help to shake you up and change those patterns.
Feel grateful for all you have in life. When you wrap yourself in the glow of this, you feel you want to give it out.
Sort out your self-esteem issues, by counseling or positive practices, such as complimenting yourself, counting your good points etc. (See Healthy Self-Love on this site)
Move on from the past, be brave and face the fact that anything in life you may achieve is pretty empty and meaningless without love. The good news is that there is love out there for you – affirm that you’re open to it and always be optimistic.