Do you start to feel down when the nights draw in? Do you dread darkness and the colder weather? Maybe the sight of the leaves turning brown and gold reminds you of all the changes – many of them heart-wrenching – that life brings. Nature worshippers see the cycle of the seasons as a profound symbol for all that happens to us, each stage of the cycle having its own beauty. The over-riding message is All that dies shall be reborn. Let ancient wisdom guide you, so you can enjoy this time of year.
WHAT IS THE AUTUMN EQUINOX?
This is the date on which day and night are equal, all over the world, but those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are now at the tipping point, towards darkness. It is also the time when the Sun moves from Virgo into Libra – the sign of the Balance. After the Autumn Equinox, nights are longer than days, and their length increases until the Midwinter Solstice, when days draw out again. The exact time of the Equinox varies slightly from year to year. This year it falls on September 23rd, at 8.22 GMT.
If you let yourself tune in, you will sense the shifts in the earth now. Mists linger in the dallying mornings. Leaves fall in a sunset of red, amber and bronze. At some point close to the Equinox, possibly around Full Moon (which this year is on 28th) gales and storms rip across the countryside. If you are a city dweller, you will notice variations in the sky, or in parks. You may want to hang on to as much of summer as you can, but actually you will probably feel better if you embrace the change.
AN EERIE TIME
Traditionally, this was considered to be the time of year when the veil between this world and the realms of Spirit are at their thinnest. Hauntings are most common now. This is probably because the changing light encourages shifts in human consciousness, so we can more readily tune in to other dimensions. If you have lost someone you love, you may feel closer to them now.
THE MYSTERIES OF ELEUSIS
In times gone by people regarded the seasonal cycle as sacred, and appropriate rituals were timed, to harmonise with this. One of these was the Greater Mysteries of Eleusis. Over the temple were inscribed the words Know thyself. The central point of the rite involved contemplating an ear of wheat on a platter, with the words In silence is the seed of wisdom gained. The Rites of Eleusis were of course deeply spiritual and mysterious. However, the message is ‘Reflect, explore yourself and learn.’ A good way to start would be to contact one of our Readers and find out more about yourself and your purpose in life.
WHAT TO DO AT THIS TIME OF YEAR
Learn to go with the flow. Be part of the seasonal rhythm and you will be carried through the richness of the dark time, once again into the revival of light.
- One of the best ways to come to terms with the season is to get out there and be part of it. Go for long walks through the changing woodland, or over windy hilltops, and breathe autumn into your being
- Gather blackberries and other fruit, and celebrate the bounty of nature
- Create a display in your home of autumn leaves, conkers and similar
- Make jams, chutneys, cider and wine, to be part of the gathering and preserving tradition that was natural at this time of year
- Get into the habit of meditating and reflecting. What matters to you? What does it all mean? What are your priorities, going forward?
- Hold a séance or ghost-hunt – but always remember to have proper protection and grounding. Invoke angels and spirit guides by praying, and if anything feels wrong, avoid it rigorously
- This is the start of the academic year, so start a new course, to keep you mentally stimulated
- Hold a Harvest Supper with like-minded friends and discuss what this time of year means to you
- The stars come out earlier now – wish upon the first one you see and visualise a happy future
Of course, the change in the seasons can be difficult. You owe it to yourself to do your utmost to adapt, and this may require a push from someone knowledgeable. At TheCircle you can always contact a Psychic or Medium who can help you. Benefit from a Psychic Reading, check your Horoscope, get some advice, insight and support. A Clairvoyant Reading is a great way to shift your viewpoint and move on, so make contact with us without delay
PUBLISHED: 08 SEPTEMBER 2015