Losing someone close at Christmas is devastating. It is harder to deal with grief when the rest of the world is full of Christmas cheer. The sense of loss can be overwhelming. Grief is hard to manage, please be gentle with yourself. Christmas may be a difficult time for some years, it will take time to be able to heal.
Ways to cope with a bereavement at Christmas
The way to deal with death at Christmas is to realize that when someone you love dies, changing your old routine may help, but it should be at your own pace. Change can, however, get you through this awful time.
- Don’t feel guilty if you are not up to celebrating Christmas Day. How you really feel should be your guide rather than imposing impossible standards for yourself. Recognize how vulnerable you are and ask for help if you need it. If you are going ahead with Christmas day dinner you may find it more bearable if you remove the chair that your loved one sat in.
- Rather than focusing on one day why not plan different activities during the Holiday season with family and friends. Rather than recreating previous Christmas Days, make a new tradition.
- Share your experience with someone who knows how it feels to lose someone close. Seek out local and Internet support groups. If you believe in Spirit and Angels ask them to help through this. Prayer really helps.
- Don’t over eat or drink too much alcohol, as it will only make you feel worse afterwards.
- Try to exercise as this will lighten your mood and release stress. Have a walk around the block or get into the countryside to breathe in fresh air.
- Make a memory box for your loved one and ask other people to contribute to it. Ask people to write about the wonderful times they have shared with them. Talking about your loved one with others really helps heal deep emotional wounds.
- Distraction can help relieve grief. You may want to get away from all that is familiar and work on a voluntary basis. Giving to others though this painful time may help to heal and sustain you. To make a difference to someone else’s life is the most precious gift.
- Light a candle for your loved one. Talk to them, they can hear you and they will never leave you. Love can never be destroyed, you will see them again
For help with making contact with your loved ones, call on