Find out here about World Kindness Day and how the practice of kindness can improve your life and fill the world with happiness.
World Kindness Day
In the following article we will look at what World Kindness Day is all about, the definition of kindness, why acts of kindness are important and ways to mark World Kindness Day. Celebrate it, and spread some sunshine.
History of World Kindness Day
World Kindness Day is on November 13th, 2015. It was started in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement. Organisations and individuals are encouraged to perform acts of kindness, of all descriptions. These can be personal or general. The point of World Kindness Day is to highlight the power of positive thought and the common thread of kindness, which binds us all together.
On past World Kindness Days there have been various events. For instance Kindness UK handed out chocolate bars at railway stations, ‘Kind Kid Awards’ have been given in Scotland and World Kindness Australia organised a massive group hug on Bondi Beach. To find out what’s happening in your area, check out the Net and local media. Better still, organise something yourself! You’ll find a list of suggestions in one of the sections below.
World Kindness Day quote
Mark Twain called kindness ‘the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see’. The poet Wordsworth wrote ‘the best bits of a [wo]man’s life are the simple, random acts of kindness and love’. Kindness is anything nice you do for another that you do purely for its own sake. True kindness has no ulterior motive of gain for yourself – yet at the same time, kindness brings its own rewards.
Kindness creates and fosters human bonds. It makes life worth living, letting us know that we are part of a greater, more meaningful whole. Here are some of the wonderful benefits of kindness:
- It enhances self-esteem
- It lowers your blood-pressure
- It sends loads of feel-good hormones, such as dopamine, round your body, giving you a natural ‘high’
- When you’re kind to others you’re more able to be kind to yourself, so kindness helps you heal
- It makes the world a safer place
- Being kind can lift depression
- When you’re kind you attract pleasant things because you’re giving out positive energy
- Kindness snowballs – you never know what far-reaching effects your small, kind act may have
- Modern psychology has shown that being altruistic deeply increases happiness
World Kindness Day activities
Are you wondering how you can make World Kindness Day special? There are many acts of kindness, large and small, so first decide how much time and effort you are willing to put in – World Kindness Day is a day for being kind to yourself, so don’t overstretch or over-commit, and certainly please do not do anything out of guilt, or to impress anyone else.
Personal ideas for activities on World Kindness Day:
- Smile. Every time you smile you are giving a small gift to anyone who sees, and it cheers everyone up
- Buy a friend a cuppa. There is something about a warm cup of tea or coffee that is reassuring and heartening.
- Give something to charity. This may mean you pull a few clothes you no longer wear out of your wardrobe and take them to a charity shop. Or it may mean a donation to a cause. It doesn’t have to break the bank to be kind
- Say or do something supportive. An encouraging word, a helpful action – in just a few seconds you could make someone feel so much more positive
- Give someone a hug – or give hugs to lots of people!
- Give someone a surprise gift
- Give someone a pretty card with a lovely message
- Let go of small negatives. If someone cuts you up in the car or jumps ahead of you in a queue – so what? Be the bigger person and let them get on with it
- Be kind to yourself. On World Kindness Day do at least one nice thing for you!
Group ideas for World Kindness Day Activities:
Your friendship group, office, classroom or club may want to do something collectively. If this happens, make sure that it’s fair on every individual. No-one should be shouldering a huge burden unless they want to. The whole point of World Kindness Day is to create loving bonds – doing acts of kindness as a group should make you all feel good and bring you closer.
- Bring-and-buy, cake and craft sales can be fun, and raise money for your favourite charity
- Organise a sponsored charity event
- Sew/knit a blanket together, to help refugees
- Make a pact that each of you will do something to help a needy local person, and come back together to report
- Organise a dance/disco/fun night, for charity
- Throw your names into a hat, each pick one out and then pay three compliments to the person whose name you pick
- Hold a brain-storm session, where you throw around crazy ideas for Kindness Day
World Kindness Day brings light into darkness
In this article we have looked at the details of World Kindness Day, how kindness can make your life so much better, and what you can do to mark the event. It is true – you can make the world a better place. Simple kindness can fill the earth with light.
However, sometimes it isn’t that easy, and you need personal insight and encouragement. At TheCircle you can always contact a Psychic or Medium who can help you
. Benefit from a Psychic Reading, check your Horoscope, get some advice, insight and support. The perfect time to start is on World Kindness Day!
PUBLISHED: 20 OCTOBER 2015