HOW TO USE TAROT CARDS
Tarot is a very ancient system that has evolved over many centuries. You can learn how to read Tarot cards. The Tarot contains powerful symbols that can be used in lots of areas:
- To foretell the future. Most people use Tarot to find out what’s going to happen to them
- To understand what’s going on in the present. The key elements of a confusing situation can be clarified in a Tarot spread
- To understand the people in one’s life. Tarot can enable you to see into the motives of others, in as far as they relate to you
- To find out things about the past, and put it in perspective
- To understand yourself more deeply
- To act as a focus for meditation and inward ‘journeying’ as you go into a relaxed state and ask to enter the world of the Tarot card
- To form a focus for positive thinking or magic, using the card as a way to direct your energies
- As inspiration for art, poetry and other forms of creativity
ESSENTIALS FOR TAROT READING
All forms of divination depend on the ‘diviner’ – i.e. the reader – for their effectiveness. This means that your Tarot reading comes from work and wisdom on your part. Yes, there is an ancient power in a system, such as Tarot, that has been used for generations. However, for accuracy and true meaning, please remember the following points:
- Get to know the cards personally, so each of them speaks to you. This may vary slightly from the traditional interpretation
- Meditate on each of the cards in turn, especially the Major Arcana of the Tarot
- Place the card you are working with on an altar or high shelf, where you can see it from time to time, as its message sinks in
- If you really want to learn how to read Tarot cards, spend some months, at least, getting to know the cards – give this the respect you would any other skill
- Before doing a Tarot reading always ensure that you are in the right frame of mind. Relax and meditate a little before proceeding. Approaching Tarot, or any other system, when you are agitated and/or distracted, is unlikely to be useful
- Always follow your intuition rather than ‘book learning’. This can be useful when you’re ‘stuck’, but your instincts speak stronger
- Keep fears in check and do not ‘awful-ise’ your reading. Cards like The Tower and The Devil look scary, but in the event may refer to something minor, or herald positive transformation
- If a Tarot reading plays on your mind, check it out with one of our experts at TheCircle, to put your mind at rest.
HOW TO READ TAROT
As you get to know the cards there is no harm in being playful, because ‘play’ frees your mind and encourages you to be open. Firstly you will need to pick a pack that appeals to you. Take your time with this, because your Tarot pack will become a familiar friend on life’s journey and you want to have symbols that speak to you.
As you become more familiar with Tarot reading, you will want to experiment with various spreads. Some are very complicated and some even use all of the Major Arcana – i.e. the ‘picture’ cards. However, one good way to begin is to shuffle the cards and then pick one, as your ‘theme’ for the day. In what way does this card manifest in what happens to you? Make notes of your experiences.
Another basic ‘spread’ is simply to pick one card as an answer to a particular problem, or advice on a course of action. For example the High Priestess may be encouraging you to use your intuition, or telling you hidden truths are about to be revealed.
With the ‘Three Card Spread’ you begin Tarot work in earnest. Deal three cards, one for the past, one for the present and one for the future, and use this as a basis for interpretation. For instance, if you happen to be going through a bad time financially, The Devil, for the past, could indicate too much materialism. The Tower, for the present, may mean that you’re feeling caught up in disaster. The Magician, for the future, tells you that you can transform your situation with wisdom, and willpower.
HOW TO READ ANGEL CARDS
There are many types of card decks, such as animal oracles, fairy packs and Angel Cards. Each pack will come with its own instructions. Angel Card packs are usually especially encouraging, for angels are spirit messengers and they can ‘speak’ to you through the cards you pick.
You can enhance your life by looking more deeply into the meanings of the angels, as they appear in your pack, so you fill your life with their light. Choose a card to carry with you into difficult situations, so you have a connection to angelic protection.
Angel cards can also be used for divination in ways similar to a Tarot reading. For instance, you cam use the Three Card Spread described above. Angel cards are usually very gentle, showing you the ways blessing is finding its way into your life, even when you may be unaware of it.
TAKE THINGS FURTHER
In the above we have looked at some essentials for Tarot reading, how to read Tarot cards and how to read angel cards. Tarot reading on your own may not be enough, however and you may want more guidance. Or you may need someone to talk through your ideas and what they mean. We offer full Tarot Readings at TheCircle. To get advice on anything that arises, our knowledgeable Readers at TheCircle are ready and waiting for your call, with Tarot Card Readings to answer your questions, so why not get in touch today?
PUBLISHED: 23 NOVEMBER 2015