The twinkly lights are all gone, the weather’s foul and you’re sick of turkey. January can seem like the longest month, but there are plenty of ways to brighten it.
- Have dates to look forward to. Start filling your diary with friendly cuppa-and-chat commitments, cinema visits, concerts and plays. There are ways to do this on a budget, especially if you club together.
- Book a holiday. Just looking at the sunny brochures will lift your spirits, and you can start to plan your luggage and activities.
- Take a challenge. Doing something a bit difficult will get the adrenalin pumping and up your zest for life. So much the better if you involve charity sponsorship.
- Get out and about – never mind the snow, ice or storms. Contact with Nature gives a massive boost, whatever the weather, and snuggling with a hot chocolate when you get back is The Best.
- Simply move your body. A new exercise regime would be fab, but it may be best not to commit to too much, all at once. Ten minutes brisk walk each day, dancing to your Ipod or some morning Yoga would do the trick.
- Re-invent yourself. If you can afford a total makeover that’s great, but you can kit yourself out with clothes you wouldn’t normally choose by scouring the sales. Get together with friends to decide which colours really suit you. Others may see you clearer than you can, and you may find new shades to lift your spirit.
- Do a good deed. There is sure to be someone you know that needs help, or just company. Give of yourself and you’ll find you have more resources than you imagined, plus you’ll come away with a real glow.
- Sort out your diet. This doesn’t have to mean going on some low-calorie penance – just deciding to do yourself a favour and make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs. Think organic, meat-free, low sugar and have plenty of juices and veggies. Pick from the foods you like, rather than trying to force down something you find disgusting, and you’ll discover your good choices become habits.
- Realize the power of scent. Avoid commercial products, which can have adverse effects, especially long-term. Instead vapourise essential oil in a diffuser. Orange is very heartening, basil strengthening, eucalyptus aids concentration and frankincense is spiritually uplifting.
- Spit it out! On the run-up to Christmas, important issues can go on the back-burner, and no-one wants to ruin the festivities by whining. However, now the New Year is here, it’s time to talk. Friends can be wonderful, but the unbiased perspectives of our trained readers at The Circle can give you a brilliant start to 2014 – why not make your January sparkle by calling one today!
PUBLISHED: 06 January 2014