We all want to be happy. In Twenty-first century Western culture, for the most part we are safe, well-fed and housed, freed from the battle to survive that humans have faced, through the ages. Now we want our lives to glow with that wonderful something called ‘happiness.’ It ought be easy, but so often it isn’t.
Tips to lead a happy life
No-one can teach you how to be happy, because it’s your journey. However, there are many hints and tips along the way. Here are some to bear in mind.
• You may have no reason at all to be unhappy – nice house, nice job, nice relationships with friends, family, partner – and yet you still feel down and discontented. But happiness comes from within and what you need to give up, right now, is any guilt at not being happy! Do not beat yourself up because you’re ‘ungrateful’. For some reason things aren’t right and you need to accept this.
• Try to love yourself, even though you aren’t happy. Always count the good things about yourself, and tell yourself you are valuable, whatever.
• Remember that happiness truly is a journey. It can take many years to find it. Be patient, and learn about yourself, for that’s the way to find your own happiness.
• Be honest about your feelings, even if you’re ashamed of them, or want to conceal them from others. If you’re trying to feel what you think you ‘should’ feel, then you will probably drive happiness further away. Talking to someone who will not judge you or expect anything from you is a tremendous help. Don’t forget our readers at The Circle are always there, for that very purpose.
• If there is some major obstacle to your happiness, tackle this. For instance, for whatever reason you may be stuck in a bad relationship – this could be because you are putting the feelings of others before your own, but that isn’t fair and needs to stop. Be very clear about what, if anything, is making you unhappy and be brave about changing it.
• Doing things for others has been proven to make people happier. Commit to some welfare or charity work, and get that glow. (Please note, voluntarily doing good deeds is different from being ‘nice’ due to pressure or guilt. You may get a buzz from helping the old lady down the road, but giving in to a demanding partner could make you feel down. Spread your kindness where you receive a return.)
• Never call yourself ‘selfish’ because you are looking after Number One. The most important person in your life is rightfully you. Caring for yourself enables you to give more, and better, to others.
• Try to live in the moment, with all its little joys, comforts and things of interest. Always have something nice to do – a game to play, book to read, drink to sip… And really be there.
• Nurture your spirituality, whatever it may be. If you are vulnerable, avoid those who may attack you. They may sound ‘logical’ but they have their own agendas. Just because you may want to believe something, doesn’t mean it isn’t true. The Universe is kinder than you realise!
Happiness can arrive unexpectedly, perhaps when you’re talking to someone and they give you a new perspective. That’s what our readers can offer. At TheCircle you can always contact a psychic or medium who can help you. Benefit from a psychic reading, check your horoscope, get some advice, insight and support. A clairvoyant reading can show ways to move forwards, so make contact with us without delay
PUBLISHED: 03 JUNE 2015