There is not a more magical time than Christmas or Yuletide, a time to really connect with Spirit. This has possibly been lost during the commercialisation of the season but there are many ways to reconnect and make this Christmas a spiritual one.
1. Decorate your home. Use the traditional plants connected with the season, evergreen wreaths and boughs, mistletoe, holly and ivy. Go out into the countryside with the family and collect them and bring them back to the hearth.
2. Put up a tree. Make sure your tree comes from a sustainable source, although the needles can be a pain, nothing beats the smell of a living tree in the house. Decorate with the lights and reflect on joy and renewal, make well-wishes as you decorate. Have paper shapes cut and ask visitors to write a wish on the paper and hang it on the tree.
3. Burn a Yule Log. If you are lucky enough to have an open fire burn the log, if not have a bonfire. This represents the rebirth of the sun at the winter solstice.
4. Play Christmas songs. There is nothing more spiritual than music and connecting with the music and dancing really helps you to connect with the season.
5. Meditate. Use the time to really connect yourself with the earth and the solstice sun. This can be so grounding at such a hectic time of the year.
6. Contribute to a charity. This is a real opportunity to spread the joy of the festive season and to help those less fortunate.
7. Learn about other traditions. Take the time to learn about all the different traditions associated with Christmas and Yule; adopt those that you like into your family celebrations.
8. Appreciate and be thankful for all you have. This is the time of year to focus on the good things and allows you to gain perspective at such a busy time. Brag about what you've achieved and make oaths for what you will achieve in the coming year.
9. Get together with others. This is a special time of year where you can gather with loved ones and celebrate with good food and laughter. Gather round the hearth and tell stories. This can be a gentle time without stress and hassle to really show how you love and appreciate all the special people in your life.
10. Focus on world peace. Focus on world peace and planetary well-being in your celebrations, meditations, prayers, and other workings. Peace-making was part of Winter Solstice among many people in the past, keep this tradition alive in the present and future.
The amazing readers at TheCircle would only be too pleased to speak to you at this time of the year, whether to give you ideas for developing your spirituality or helping you see the way ahead for the coming year, they are there to guide and support. Happy Yuletide!!