At the Equinox the Sun is overhead at the Equator and day and night are practically equal, all over the globe. The precise date varies from year to year, and in 2015 it takes place on March 20th. For the Northern Hemisphere light is now greater than darkness, and it will be for the next six months. For our tribal ancestors, back in the mists of time, Spring Equinox rites were important. Hope and prosperity were returning, and gratitude had to be shown to the gods of Nature. Of course we have moved on since then, but it still feels right to celebrate the birth of Spring, and to make some positive changes.
Nature teaches us that all that dies shall be reborn – this is the pledge of Mother Earth. Ask yourself what needs to be ‘reborn’ in your life – and remember that nothing comes back quite the same, so don’t restrict your options. A week or two before the Equinox make a simple altar to Spring, using yellow candles, flowers and pictures of your choice. Create a mock nest using ornamental eggs, or chocolate eggs if you aren’t de-toxing. Write down what needs to be reborn for you, and hide the paper under the eggs. At the Full Moon after the Equinox – this year on April 4th – take out your paper and burn it in the candle flame. Imagine your wish coming true and if you have chocolate eggs, celebrate by eating them!
Try some of these activities around the Spring Equinox
• Have a spa day, complete with cleansing sauna. Affirm that your body is being deep-cleaned, ready for the sunnier months ahead.
• Fill your home with spring flowers, in pots. When they have finished blooming, plant them outside, in your garden, if you have one, or in the wild. You are returning the gifts of the Earth, so they can bloom again.
• Get outside for half an hour each day. The evenings are lighter now, offering more opportunity. Breathe deep of the fresh air and affirm that you are absorbing all the vibrancy of the season.
• Clear out your wardrobe and treat yourself to a new outfit. It doesn’t have to be smart or expensive, as long as it is fresh and bright, bringing you the message that you’re renewed and energised.
• Choose three things in your life that need to change. It’s a good idea to pick two small changes and one major one. Make sure the changes are different types – for instance one could be about habits, one about the way you think and another about your job/family/relationship. Be very clear about your goals and how you are going to go about it. Use the increasing liveliness of the season to move on.
If celebrating the Equinox doesn’t enable you to create the changes you hoped for, don’t worry, for help is available. Monthly horoscopes are there for you. Get free horoscopes and psychic insight at The Circle. If you want to know more about yourself and your year ahead, call one of our expert readers at The Circle without delay
PUBLISHED: 19 MARCH 2015